If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Yep ....it's a chili dog (Coney) in a bread bowl! Using a very similar chili that I used in The Coney http://www.food52.com/recipes/12333_the_coney, I thought this would be a fun way of serving... - inpatskitchen
Serves 6 to 8 depending on the size of your bread bowls
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 3 tablespoons Ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons AP flour
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 to 8 good quality natural casing franks
- 6 to 8 round French boules ( mine were small - about 5 inches in diameter)
- Ballpark (yellow) mustard for serving
- Finely chopped onions for serving
- In a medium soup pot (about 4 quarts) saute the ground beef and onions until the meat loses its color. Drain and return to the stove.
- With the mixture over medium heat, stir in the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, sugar, allspice and celery salt. Add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and chicken broth, bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let cool a bit and the place 1 cup of the mixture into a blender and puree. Return the mixture to the pot.
- Slice your hot dogs into 1/2 inch rounds, throw them in the pot, bring up to a simmer and cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Cut the tops off the bread bowls and pull the bread on the inside out (save for bread crumbs). Save the tops. Place the bowls and tops on a baking sheet and warm in a 350F oven for just a few minutes.
- Spoon some of the chili in each bowl, drizzle with a little mustard and top with the diced onion. Use the bread tops for dipping. After you've had your fill of chili eat the chili soaked bread bowl and enjoy!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili
Shine a Little Light
Candles for spring.
Let Them Shine
Ultra Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies
DIY Herb Rub
Easygoing banana bread.
Go play outside!