If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm a grad student and needed a meal that would last me a week. I decided I would make chili. Loved Jestei's Just Good Chili but I'm too broke to buy meat, didn't have most of the ingredients and instead I had lots of veggies. Thus my first ever chili. - shortnmorose
- 2 cups mix of kidney beans, azuki beans, and black beans
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon hot cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup coffee
- 2-3 cups broth or stock (I used vegetable)
- 1 cup yummy tomato sauce
- 1 sprig thyme
- cilantro to garnish
- Hawaiian salt to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked Genjimai or brown rice
- Boil some water and cover the 3 cups of beans to about an inch above the beans. Soak for a couple of hours. Afterwards, drain the beans and transfer to a heavy stockpot.
- Cover beans with water again up to an inch above the beans. Boil then reduce heat, simmering for 1 hour.
- Rest for a bit. 30 minutes into the boiling of them beans, start prepping and chopping up all the veggies. Mix spices together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a stock pot over medium heat, heat the oil and add garlic, onions, carrots, celery, zucchini, and tomato until veggies begin to release their liquids.
- Mix spices into veggies and simmer on low until beans are ready. (If it's gonna be awhile, remove veggies from heat until beans are ready). Drain beans of their boiling liquid. I'm not a pro, but I swear draining the beans of their soaking and boiling waters makes ya less gassy. I could be wrong :)
- Add beans, stock, tomato sauce, hot cocoa powder, sugar, coffee, and thyme. Stir it up. Return to boil then simmer for another hour or so.
- Add Hawaiian salt to taste, garnish with cilantro and cheddar cheese. Serve over rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.