If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: No...I didn't add beans. It's just not your typical chili. I was inspired by a recipe from this post on Off The Meathook http://offthemeathook.com/2012/01/recipe-butternut-squash-short-rib-chili/ but I took it a little more Middle Eastern with the spices. I cooked it for a looong time in the crock pot. The tougher cuts of beef need this. —kaupilimakoa
Makes a huge crockpot full
- 4 pounds beef shortribs, boned cut into 1" cubes
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 med yellow/orange or red bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 large orange fleshed sweet potato
- 3 15 oz cans diced tomato
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1.5 cups red wine
- 1 tablespoon Penzey's Rogan josh seasoning
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- olive oil
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a large heavy dutch oven heat 1-2 TBS olive oil over medium heat. Salt and pepper cubed beef and sear until browned in small batches. Don't put it all in at once or it will steam. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Cut peppers and onions into 1/2" dice. In the same pan you used for the meat, saute them until translucent/soft and lightly browned. Add more olive oil if it looks like it needs it, add garlic at last minute and cook til fragrant. Remove vegetables to bowl with meat.
- Add another TBS of olive oil to pan and saute all the spices except cocoa for ~1 minute or until fragrant. Return meat/veg to pan.
- Add cocoa, canned and cherry tomatoes, wine, tomato paste and stock. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer. The longer you simmer, the more tender the meat will be. If you don't want to babysit the chili you can do the simmering in a crock pot on the low setting for 6-8 hours.
- Peel and cut sweet potato into 1/2" dice. Add to chili and simmer additional hour. Adjust seasonings.
- Cool slightly, then refrigerate overnight. Tastes better the next day.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili
Recipe of the Day
Let them eat vegan chocolate cake
Recipe of the Day
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the summer blues.
Stone (fruit) cold desserts.
Have a ball (jar).