If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This ain't your grandma's chili. With warm, creamy undertones and a kick of heat, this is chili gone exotic. Goat meat is the most widely consumed meat on the planet, and these days is readily available from local farmers or ethnic markets. If you can't find ground goat, try pork or even chicken. —GreenEats
Madras Goat Chili
- 1 pound ground goat meat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can coconut milk
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons madras curry paste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- pinches salt
- 2 tablespoons rice bran, peanut, or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions, greens only
- cooked rice or pita bread, to serve
- Brown the goat meat in a heavy skillet. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium-high. Add the goat meat, diced tomatoes, coconut milk, chickpeas, curry paste, chili powder (1/4 to 1/2 tsp, depending on preference), and salt to the onions. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes uncovered, stirring every once in a while.
- Meanwhile make the raita.
- 1.5 cups thick, Greek-style yogurt
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Using a fork, mix together all of the ingredients in a medium bowl, mashing the cucumber a bit. Let sit 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator while the chili cooks. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Once the 45 minutes is up, remove the chili from the heat and stir in the cilantro and scallions. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Serve atop rice or with pita bread. Place a dollop of raita atop each serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili
This Week's Best #F52Farmstands
Cheese peppers, grapes, and more
This week's best #F52farmstands.
Get baking this Labor Day.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Storage made crystal clear.