Author Notes: I really love my slow cooker. I love coming home to a house filled with the smells of dinner, and I love that cleanup is simple (all slow cooker dishes are essentially one-pot meals). This is one of my favorites! It's hearty and comforting, and makes great leftovers. - d_ribbens
- 1 pound brown lentils, picked, rinsed, and drained
- 1 pound your favorite smoked sausage, sliced (I like beef smoked sausage)
- 5 cups your favorite stock (or water, but it won't be as tasty)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups bias-sliced carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2-4 cups chopped kale (to be added at the end)
- Mix all ingredients except kale in a medium-sized slow cooker.
- Cook on low for the better part of a day (7-10 hours). I have never tried cooking on high, but I assume it would take 3.5-5 hours. If someone is willing to try it, let me know how it turns out!
- Once stew is completely cooked, turn heat to high (if you were cooking on low) and add as much kale as you would like, stirring to mix. Cook 10-20 minutes more or until kale has begun to soften. Kale will greatly reduce in volume, so add as much or as little as you like. Enjoy!