Author Notes: I tried this chili last year, when we had an abundance of bell peppers in our garden. I was pleasantly surprised at how flavorful this chili turned out to be. This is essentially a vegan chili and you can decide how far you want to stray from its roots in terms of toppings. I keep sour cream, grated cheese, chopped onions and even diced chicken in supply, since this recipe is for a crowd it offers options for everyone. - Rinku Bhattacharya
For the chili
- 3/4 cups whole green lentils (sold as moong beans/dal)
- 1/2 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 pods of garlic, pressed
- 4 green chilies, minced
- 4 tomatoes, diced (can use a small can)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen organic corn
To garnish and serve
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced Red onions
- Grated Jack Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Lime Wedges
- Soak the green lentils and the red kidney beans overnight in separate containers.
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil on medium heat and saute the onions for 5 to 7 minutes, until the onions turn soft and begin to turn pale golden at the edges.
- Add in the thyme, oregano, cumin and the garlic and saute lightly for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in the green chilies and the tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes soften and turn pulpy, if you are using a can of tomatoes, cook until the tomatoes begin to simmer.
- Add in the lentils and the kidney beans and the stock and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Stir in the salt and cover and cook the mixture on low heat for about 1 and 1/2 hours, it should be cooked until the beans and the lentils are soft but not mushy or the chili will not look attractive.
- While this is cooking heat the remaining oil and saute the chopped bell peppers for 5 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and the frozen corn into the lentil pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve the chilies garnished with cilantro and the remaining garnishes on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili