If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wasn’t sure what to call this dish. It’s based on a recipe called “Spicy Eggplant Relish” from the Moosewood Cookbook but I’m not entirely sure mine was very relish-like. I made a few other adjustments like cooking my peppers and adding fresh tomatoes and herbs and more spices.
I could see it topping off a rice dish, or dipping some pita in it. It can also be eaten on its own as a side or over a bed of greens, with an extra drizzle of olive oil. - leah.vandeveldt
Serves 4 as a side
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small-medium green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smokey paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/3 cup mix of fresh parsley and basil, chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- salt & pepper
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pan over a medium high beat. Add onions and garlic and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil and the eggplant. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add paprika, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper to taste and stir well.
- Add a tablespoon of water, reduce heat to medium-low and cover the pan to cook for another 10 minutes. After this your eggplant should be soft (cook covered for a few more minutes if not.) Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan heat your last tablespoon of olive oil and cook green pepper over a medium high heat for 3-4 minutes, until slightly tender. Add to the eggplant mixture and allow to cool at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Once cooled add diced tomatoes, half of the fresh herbs, salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Top with the remaining herbs. Serve chilled or at room temperature in a pita, over salad greens, on crackers, etc.
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.