Author Notes: A vegetarian play on your average meat based meatball, these are a fun change of pace. The quinoa creates a nice snappy texture and the addition of vegetables help to further add flavor and texture. These can be used anywhere a normal meatball is, in a sub, with pasta, or even on it's own...give them a try! - TheSmallBostonKitchen
Makes about 12 meatballs
- 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 handfuls Baby Spinach, chopped
- 1/2 Red Pepper
- 6 Mushrooms, cleaned and diced
- 1/4 cup Diced Onions
- 2 tablespoons Pine Nuts (Optional)
- 2 Eggs (one for egg wash)
- 1 pinch Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Rosemary
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Simmer quinoa in water and set aside to cool. Fry up the onions and mushroom in olive oil until the onions have softened and the mushrooms have browned and set aside. In the same pan, wilt the spinach until it just softens.
- In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms, wilted spinach, red pepper and onions. Add the oregano, rosemary and crushed red pepper. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the pine nuts and combine mixture. Add the cooled quinoa and mix in one of the eggs.
- Shape the mixture into even-sized balls and place on a greased and foil lined baking sheet. Make an egg wash by mixing together the remaining egg and a splash of water. Using a pastry brush, paint the meatballs with the eggwash. Bake at 400 degrees until they are cooked through, browned and slightly crispy.