Author Notes: Today I made this delicious rice dish with chickpeas, aubergine and sun dried tomatoes. I served it for lunch with green salad. This is also good warmed up to accompany the main meals or cold as a party dish. - Fahriye
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups hot vegetable stock or hot water
- 2-3 tablespoons oil or butter
- 1 large onion chopped finely
- 1 aubergine, diced finely
- 2-3 tablespoons diced sun dried tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked and drained chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh, chopped parsley and dill
- Fry the onion in a pan until well browned. Add the aubergines and cook together for 5 minutes coating and mixing well.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes, chick peas and mix spice, mix.
- Toss in the washed rice coating it well in the spice. Pour the stock into the pan, season with salt and pepper and bring it to boil.
- Lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 12-15 minutes until all of the water has been absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and place 2 or 3 pieces of kitchen paper on top of the rice and place the lid back on tightly.
- Let the rice rest for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and sprinkle the dill and parsley over the dish just before serving.