If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe began its original life as a carrot cake. We were living in Chicago so I think the recipe came from the Thursday Food Guide section of the The Chicago Tribune. It was written for a bundt cake, but I always made it as a 3 layer cake (8-inch rounds). Years ago I started baking them as oversize cupcakes (way before the cupcake craze) and sold them much to my surprise and delight to Dean and DeLuca's Bakery in Georegotwn. I've found the only adjustment necessary to convert this recipe from a cake to cupcakes is to lessen the baking time, and to raise the oven temp 25 degrees. - dinner at sheila's
Makes 24 standard cupcakes
- 1 and 1/2 cups canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1-8ounce cups can crushed pineapple (packed in water and drained)
- 1 -3 and 1/2 ounces can shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Beat eggs til light.
- Slowly pour in oil while beating.
- Add sugar and vanilla and beat well.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, soda, salt and nutmeg.
- Gradually add to egg-sugar mixture til well mixed.
- Stir in the grated carrots, pineapple, coconut, and chopped walnuts. Note: If grating carrots in a food processor, shred them first with a shredding disc, then use metal blade to grate them.
- Pour batter into cupcake papers place in cupcake tins, filling 3/4 full
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 25-32 minutes, depending on cupcake size. The oversize cupcake tins took about 32 minutes. Using baking time a s a guide it is always best to test doneness by using a cake tester in the center of the cupcake. Additionally you can press the top gently and if it springs back it's done.
- Allow cupcakes to cool slightly, 5-10 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
Classic Cram Cheesse Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer.
- Sift the powdered sugar in slowly and continue to beat until there are no lumps.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and lemon juice. Beat til smooth.
- The frosting may easily be doubled. Leftover frosting freezes well. simply bring to room temp and beat well before using.
Make It a Party
All tacos, all the time.
All tacos, all the time.
Let Them Shine
DIY Herb Rub
Ultra Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Easygoing banana bread.