If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: While I was planning our annual tarot card reading party (an excuse to eat, drink and look to the future) the Food52 Chocolate-Chili challenge appeared. I thought this would be an opportunity to try out a recipe that's been floating around my head for a while. And so this recipe was born. I knew this would be a hit when I gave Nahid a bit that suck to the pan and said, "This is a winner." And if I can trust the people at the party, it was.
—Judy at My Well Seasoned Life
Makes 9 inch cake
- 2 Medium tangelos sliced in eigths
- 1 ounce Stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 Whole chili arbol
- 1 Stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup Plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup espresso cold
- 1 cup molasses
- 6 ounces bitter sweet chocolate melted
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili arbol powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Line a 9 inch round baking pan with parchment paper. Grease sides of pan.
- Add 4 oz of butter and whole chili arbol (it's important to keep the chili whole so that it doesn't get too spicy) to a sauce pan and melt. Add syrup and cook for 2 minutes. When combined, add sliced tangelos stir and cook for 5 minutes. Remove tangelo slices to the parchment papered baking pan. Arrange in a circular pattern. Continue cooking the butter, chili and syrup until reduced to the hard crack stage or 10 more minutes. When the mixture is thick, pour on top of the sliced tangelos.
- Whip 4 oz of butter and brown sugar until creamy and fluffy. Add egg, beat until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl sift dry ingredients together. Then add to the butter/egg batter.
- Combine espresso and molasses and add slowly to the batter. Once the liquids are incorporated and fully mixed fold in the melted chocolate. Pour batter on top of the tangelo slices and syrup.
- Bake in a 350 oven for about 50 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice
10 Great Farmers Markets
Add these to your bucket list
10 great farmers markets.
Stress-eat snacks for "True Detective."
Savor the season.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
A board to go nuts over.