If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I make and eat a ton of salads, and I love coming up with interesting salad combinations. This one, which I've nicknamed the perfect fall salad, is my new favorite. Feel free to substitute goat cheese for the feta, and if you add 1/2 cup dried cranberries, this will be just a little bit sweeter and perfect for Thanksgiving, too. - WinnieAb - WinnieAb
Food52 Review: WinnieAb's salad is mellow and sweet, woven through with crunchy strands of parsnip, carrot, and apple and salty bursts of feta. The honeyed walnuts add heft and an addictive crackle. - Kristen Miglore
Make the spiced honey roasted walnuts
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 2 pinches course sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 300°F.
- Combine the honey and the butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds, until the butter has melted.
- Place the walnuts into a medium sized bowl and pour the honey-butter mixture over them; add the spices and 1 pinch salt and mix well so that the walnuts are coated.
- Bake the walnuts for 15-20 minutes, tossing mid-way through, until crispy; watch closely so that they do not burn. Once out of the oven, sprinkle them with another pinch of course salt. They will continue to crisp and the honey will harden as they cool. Set aside.
Make the salad
- 4 cups chopped red or green leaf lettuce or mixed baby greens, rinsed and dried
- 4 cups arugula, rinsed and dried
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and then shaved lengthwise
- 1 large carrot, peeled and then shaved lengthwise
- 1 honeycrisp or Fuji apple, peeled and then shaved lengthwise
- 1 /2 cups goat or sheep milk feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup honey roasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 shallot, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries-optional
- Place the greens, shaved parsnip, carrot and apple, feta cheese and walnuts in a large salad bowl. Mix well.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey and minced shallot to make the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well to combine. Garnish with the dried cranberries, if desired, and serve immediately.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Salad
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!