If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: While I was in college, I was a technical writing intern at a software company. Many of the other employees/interns were guys my age, tech-minded, and not very chatty. One day, as an attempt to start conversation and make some new friends, I brought these cookies into the office. Next thing I knew, I was invited to play Halo and shoot pool after work. These cookies allowed me to be one of the guys. - skylinetothesea
Food52 Review: WHO: Skylinetothesea works in PR and marketing and lives in Santa Cruz, CA. She is a part-time model and a sci-fi geek.
WHAT: Classic crunchy sugar cookies, with a nutty upgrade.
HOW: Make a basic sugar cookie dough, fold in your coconut and sesame, bake.
WHY WE LOVE IT: These cookies are just simple enough to whip up at any whim (or craving) -- but the addition of the coconut and sesame makes them feel special, elegant. If you're a fan of crunchy cookies, these are most definitely for you. - The Editors
Serves 10 to 12
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup grated coconut, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds, plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375° F. In a bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a larger bowl, mix together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients along with coconut and sesame seeds.
- Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets. Sprinkle cookies with sesame seeds or the grated coconut.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks. Sprinkle more sesame seeds or coconut on top of cookies if you want. I think they look prettier if you do ;)
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!