Author Notes: While I've been devouring risottos for awhile now, I just recently started making them...once I found out how easy it is to use a basic 'base recipe' and veer off in tons of different directions. I came up with this fresh, tropical risotto to accompany grilled garlic-lime shrimp. - Loves Food Loves to Eat
Serves 2 as a meal, 4 as a side
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion-diced
- 1/4th teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup pineapple bits
- S&P to taste
- Bring broth and pineapple juice to a simmer in a large pot and keep warm
- Heat oil with 1 tablespoon butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat- add onions and coriander, and saute until onions are softened.
- Add rice and 1/3rd of the chopped cilantro to the onions. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Ladle in 1 cup simmering broth/juice and cook, stirring, until absorbed. Continue simmering and adding broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and letting each addition be absorbed before adding next. When half the liquid is remaining, add pineapple tidbits. Continue adding liquid and stirring 1/2 cup at a time until rice is tender and creamy-looking, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Reserve a handful of cilantro for garnish, and add the rest to the risotto and stir in right before removing from heat.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve. I served with grilled garlic-lime shrimp and a dollup of sour cream!