If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's fall. Time for comfort food. My favorite comfort food is homemade pasta. Every year, on my birthday my Grandmother made me her homemade gnocchi. She served them with a red sauce. As I got 2 lbs of sweet potatoes from our CSA recently, I settled in for an evening to prepare the food I consider to be my birthright. - NicoleCLang
- 1.5 pounds sweet potato
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- pinches salt
- pinches pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 handful grana padano/ Italian hard cheese, grated
- Bake sweet potatoes in a 450 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cool, peel and then rice them. Stir the spices into the flour.
- On a clean cutting board, make a mound out of the potatoes, make a well in the center and drop egg in. Mix it into the potatoes, add the flour mixture and knead into a dough. Add a bit more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Cut your dough into sections and roll each one into a half inch rope. Using a knife or dough cutter, make 1 inch pieces, and at this point you can give them ridges with the back of a fork, I like mine without as that is how my grandmother made them.
- Boil a large pot of liberally salted water. Once it boils, gently lower your gnocchi into the pot in batches. They are done when they float to the top.
- While the water boils, make a light sage sauce for them. Melt the butter in a saucepan. When it becomes foamy, add your sage. Stir until they get a nice crisp. Add a teensy bit of the gnocchi water if you need to. Take off heat.
- When all of the gnocchi are done, coat them in the sauce, sprinkle with the grana padano, garnish with fresh sage and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Berti Foraging Knife
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.