If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Infusing earl grey tea into traditional chocolate ice cream makes for a fun and interesting new twist!
Ice cream base recipe adapted from Thomas Keller's French Laundry Cookbook - EmilyRecipes
Makes 1 quart
- 2 cups cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coco powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packets earl grey tea
- 10 egg yolks
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1. Place the cream, milk, 1/2 cup of the sugar, unsweetened coco powder, vanilla extract, and earl grey tea bags into a large saucepan. Heat slowly for 10-15 minutes, keeping it just under a simmer.
- 2. Meanwhile, place the egg yolks, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and pinch of salt in a bowl. Whisk until the egg yolks have thickened and are slightly lighter in color.
- 3. Remove the tea bags from the milk mixture. Whisk 1/3 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture to temper it. Then, slowly whisk the egg mixture into the milk mixture. Stir custard until thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- 4. Immediately pour custard into a bowl set in an ice water bath. Stir occasionally until cooled. Refrigerate until very cold, or overnight. Freeze in an ice cream machine and place in a covered container in the freezer.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice