If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Healthy spiced oatcakes with just a tablespoon of brown sugar make for a hearty delcious breakfast or brunch treat.
(Adapted from Gourmet Magazine) - Sigita
Serves 3 to 4
- 3/4 cup oatmeal (quick cooking or regular)
- 1.5 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (pastry or regular)
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- canola oil (for griddle)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Soak oats in buttermilk for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir egg, butter and brown sugar into oats and buttermilk.
- Add oat mixture to dry ingredients until just combined.
- Heat griddle over medium heat, lightly brush with canola oil. Be generous - pancakes tend to stick otherwise.
- Pour batter onto griddle and add blueberries on top. Cook until bubbles appear on surface and they are golden brown.
- Flip, cook the other side for 1 minute more or until golden. Lightly oil griddle between batches. Serve immediately. Extras can be frozen and eaten later reheated in the toaster.