Author Notes: Healthy spiced oatcakes with just a tablespoon of brown sugar make for a hearty delcious breakfast or brunch treat.
(Adapted from Gourmet Magazine) - Sigita
Serves 3 to 4
- 3/4 cups oatmeal (quick cooking or regular)
- 1.5 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (pastry or regular)
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- canola oil (for griddle)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Soak oats in buttermilk for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir egg, butter and brown sugar into oats and buttermilk.
- Add oat mixture to dry ingredients until just combined.
- Heat griddle over medium heat, lightly brush with canola oil. Be generous - pancakes tend to stick otherwise.
- Pour batter onto griddle and add blueberries on top. Cook until bubbles appear on surface and they are golden brown.
- Flip, cook the other side for 1 minute more or until golden. Lightly oil griddle between batches. Serve immediately. Extras can be frozen and eaten later reheated in the toaster.