Author Notes: No story here, I'm trying to cut down on carbs (anyone who's tried that knows how difficult that is) Quinoa provides a texture as well as an added shot of proteins, making this a great vegan burger.. I simply wrapped it in Romaine lettuce leaves & scarfed it down. - Panfusine
- 8 Romaine Lettuce leaves
- 1 cup cooked Quinoa
- 1 cup fat free refried beans
- 2 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 small Fresh birds eye chilli deseeded & finely minced
- 1/4 cup Finely diced Shallots
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped Cilantro
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Olive or any other Oil for Pan frying
- Wash & pat dry the romaine lettuce. Cut each leaf into two halves.
- To obtain 1 cup of cooked Quinoa, add 1/2 a cup of the seeds to 1. 1/4 cups of hot water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover & cook for ~ 15 min (until the seeds sprout their little tails out & turn translucent. Drain off any excess water.
- Combine the Quinoa, refried beans and all the other ingredient along with 3/4 cup of Panko bread crumbs. (reserve the remaining for coating the patties). Bring together into a mass. Taste and adjust for seasonings. Divide into 8 patties. Coat each patty in the Panko bread crumbs prior to pan frying.
- Heat a non stick skillet and add the patties two at a time. Drizzle oil over the patties and fry each side on medium heat until golden brown. Wrap each patty in 2 half lettuce leaves & Serve warm with any chutney or aioli of your choice.