Author Notes: I used to make this a lot when I was at college and living on a budget. It brings together two of my must-have food yum yums - chilli and fish ! - leela18
- 1 can of sardines in brine or water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 400g can of plum tomatoes
- 1.5 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Saute the onions and garlic in a pan with the oil until they turn golden.
- Now turn down the heat and add the chilli powder and garam masala.
- Stir until the spices are mixed well with the onions and form a thick consistency.
- Now add the sardines, breaking up the bigger pieces so the fish is thoroughly coated with the onion mix.
- Once this is done add the can of tomatoes.
- Turn up the heat slightly and let it simmer with a lid on for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes remove the lid, add the chopped coriander and stir through before serving. Best served with plain boiled rice and natural yoghurt on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Canned Fish Recipe