If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I created this recipe last Thanksgiving when I wanted a less sweet and more savory mashed sweet potato dish. It went over really well, and now I make it all the time because it's wonderful with virtually all types of meat. The sweetness of the potatoes is enhanced by smoky caramelized onions and robust sage. I recommend using a high quality extra virgin olive oil for drizzling and the freshest sage you can find. —Food Blogga
- 2 large, orange fleshed sweet potates, scrubbed, peeled and diced (about 4 cups diced)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided (regular olive oil is fine for cooking)
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4-5 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 7-8 cranks freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons quality extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Place diced potatoes in a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain immediately.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add sliced onions and brown sugar; stir occasionally, until the onions caramelize and turn a deep golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add sliced sage leaves and saute until lightly crisp. Remove from heat.
- Using a hand-held potato masher or an electric mixer, mash potatoes to desired consistency. Add the caramelized onions and the crisp sage leaves in olive oil to the potatoes. Add coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir until well blended. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with a little sea salt before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mashed Potatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.