If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I sometimes find sweet potatoes to be a little heavy, so I created this easy dish that lightens the sweet potatoes with apple and citrus, while the onions balance the savory side of the dish. This is also a great dish to make the day ahead if you're preparing a large meal. - TheWimpyVegetarian
Serves 3 cups of puree
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 1.5 lbs after removing peels)
- 1/2 medium onion, small dice
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, chopped (Granny Smith)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- Scant lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Put sweet pototes in a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until tender (about 45 minutes). When tender, remove from the water and set aside until cool enough to handle. Peel the potatoes and set aside.
- Saute onion in the butter over medium heat. When the onion starts to get soft (about 2 minutes), add the apple. Thoroughly mix the apple into the onion and butter so that the apple pieces are covered. Sautee over medium heat until soft (4-5 minutes).
- Add the salt, apple cider, chicken broth, orange juice, zest, cayenne pepper and cinnamon and simmer for 10 minutes to combine the flavors.
- Pour the mixture into a food processor fitted with a blade. Process until very smooth. Season to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls