If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A healthy bowl of textures with kale and edamame joined by smoked trout, and all enrobed
in a lemon sesame dressing.
I was inspired to create this dish after having something similar at Philip Tang’s East by Northeast in Cambridge MA. Before tasting it, I never would have thought of making a salad out of kale.
- LE BEC FIN
Lemon Sesame Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Hellman’s Mayonnaise
- 3-4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Japanese Sesame Oil (Maruhon is my favorite)
- 1/2 teaspoon Tamari ( can sub with Japanese soy sauce)
- Combine all thoroughly with a fork. Adjust seasoning.
Kale preparation and Salad assembly
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 ounces kale leaves (central vein removed),chopped into 1” pieces, soaked and drained
- 1 1/2 ounce shelled edamame, cooked per package instructions
- 4-5 tablespoons lemon sesame mayonnaise
- 4-6 ounces smoked trout pulled into 1/2-1" pieces
- 1 tablespoon tobiko*
- 1/2 pound prepared Lotus Root** (marinated in a sweet soy glaze)
- 2 teaspoons Toasted white or black sesame seeds
- Heat a wok or heavy skillet (not non-stick) over highest heat til just begins to smoke. Add oil til hot enough that you cannot hold your hand over the oil. Quickly add the kale and stirfry a few minutes til tender. Transfer to a bowl and cool.
- Add edamame and dressing. Refrigerate a few hours. Adjust seasoning.Add tobiko and smoked trout, stirring gently so as not to break up the smoked trout. Place in the center of a serving platter, surround with an edge of overlapping lotus slices and sprinkle salad with sesame seeds
- Notes: The Cole's canned smoked trout from Portugal is a lovely product, moist and lightly smoked
- * Tobiko is tiny crunchy bright orange flying fish roe. They have a lovely mild taste of the sea. They are great for adding texture and as a coloful garnish.They can be found in the refrigerated or frozen section of most Asian markets.
- ** Prepared lotus root can be found at most Korean markets.It is mild flavored and has the texture of a cooked potato. Each slice looks like a brown 1/4” thick , 2-3” round doily.So pretty!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Canned Fish Recipe