If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This was inspired by the overflowing amount of root veggies in my farm share, and I had just bought some local organic (nitrate/nitrite free) bacon. So off I went mixing salty and sweet flavors- a favorite combo. - HollyA
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 2 parsnips
- water to cook veggies
- 6 slices organic nitrate free bacon cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 red onion sliced in half moons
- salt to taste
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut in thick slices. Cut parsnip into 1/2 inch slices. In 2 separate pots, simmer the parsnips and sweet potatoes in a water level that just covers the bottom veggies so they are mostly steaming. (about 10 min) Then drain. (Drinking this cooking water is divine).
- In a cast iron skillet on medium heat, cook bacon until done, and drain on paper towels. Pour out all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pan.
- Saute the onion in 1 tablespoon of bacon fat until carmelized.
- In a large bowl, mash sweet potatoes and parsnips together. Add carmelized onions and bacon, stirring to mix.
- Taste and add salt if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe