Author Notes: This recipe was the result of an experiment to convert our favorite Butternut Squash Soup recipe (Bon Apetit's Butternut Squash Soup with Cider Cream) into a healthy vegan alternative. The key is in the curry, a dash of cayenne, and finishing with coconut kefir. A winning combination of spice and comfort. - domaphile
- 1 medium/large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and coarsely choped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoon curry poweder
- dashes salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 - 1 cup plain coconut kefir (cultured coconut milk)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss squash, sweet potato, carrots, onion, curry powder, and salt and pepper to taste in a large mixing bowl with enough oil to coat well. Roast in a large cast iron skilled or roasting pan until very soft and slightly caramelized (45-60 minutes).
- Cool slightly and transfer vegetables (in batches, if necessary) to a blender or food processor. Add cinnamon and cayenne. Puree while adding kefir and enough water to desired consistency. Correct seasoning. Enjoy or freeze for later.