If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Smoked salmon peppered and all dressed up with a bit of shallot, a hint of hollendaise, caper and a dollop of caviar. What’s not to like about this taste of the sea in a simple but elegant appetizer plated with a slice of avocado and lime? I usually leave it at that, but this time kicked it up with a two-step combination, smoked salmon on a base of salmon mousse. A little goes a long way to please your guests or to whet the palate before a romantic dinner for two. Serve on individual salad plates or make more for a company spread with crackers. Either way, there will not be leftovers. - Vivian Henoch
Serves 2 to 4
Tinned Salmon Mousse
- 7.5 ounces can red sockeye salmon
- 1 teaspoon Grey Poupon mustard
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 pinch pepper
- Using a food processor, blend egg yolks, lime juice and mustard until mixture is thickened and smooth.
- With food processor running, add butter in a thin stream to egg mixture, as in a basic hollendaise sauce.
- In a small bowl, mix salmon with lime juice, add sauce and stir until smooth consistency. Add capers.
- For individual servings, plate salmon using a small metal mold. (Hint: a donut cutter or aluminum can with top and bottom removed will do the trick.)
- Top mousse with smoked salmon pate (see recipe below). Remove metal form. And serve
Smoked Salmon Pate
- 4 ounces smoked salmon peppered (Spence & Company LTD brand)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons caviar (salmon roe)
- Slice salmon into thin strips and chop into small pieces.
- Add diced shallot, olive oil and caviar and gently mix.
- Spoon mixture on top of mousse (see recipe above), smooth to form neat stack, garnish with a dollop of caviar.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Canned Fish Recipe
Recipe of the Day
We don't even want to taco 'bout how awesome these are.
Recipe of the Day
A Carry-On Cocktail Kit
A Shoo-In Salad
The Daily Grind
A Custard Jacuzzi