Author Notes: Many years ago I was introduced to the flavor combination of smoked seafood, avocado and sesame oil by the amazing Boston based chef, Ana Sortun.Ever since then I have played with and loved this flavorful combo. - LE BEC FIN
Makes about 25 crostini
- 1 sesame coated ficelle (or plain), about 1 1/2 inches wide
- canola oil
- 12 ounces avocado flesh, mashed with fork( from 2 ripe Haas avocadoes)**
- 2-4 tablespoons Japanese sesame oil (Maruhon preferred)-to taste
- 1 tablespoon tamari (or Japanese soy sauce)
- 4-5 ounces smoked trout, pulled into 1 " chevrons, or pieces of thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 2-4 tablespoons lime juice- to taste
- optional garnish of tiny dab of tobiko(flying fish roe, found refrigerated in Japanese stores)
- Slice ficelle crosswise into 1/4 " rounds; arrange in one layer on a lipped baking sheet. Brush top of rounds with oil and toast in 350 degree F oven about 7 minutes til crisp and lightly browned. Cool and set aside.
- Mash avocado with sesame oil through tamari. **The avocado cannot be prepared more than 1 hour before serving or it will lose its bright green color.
- Arrange crostini on a serving tray. Top each with 1/2 tablespoon of avocado mash. Top each with a smoked trout chevron or piece of smoked salmon. If using smoked trout, garnishing with a tiny dab of tobiko makes for a colorful presentation.