If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I like this combination of cauliflower and potatoes marinated in yogurt and spices and layered on a tart and then baked. When I want to serve something traditional but in a different way I feel this Galette is perfect, I can cut it into small pieces and serve. Instead of making traditional" adraki gobhi" gingered cauliflower alongside of Roti's or Naan. Instead of making your own crust , you can use store bought or even you can use frozen puff pastry crust as I have used in my artichoke pizza bites recipe. —PistachioDoughnut
Cauliflower and Potato Marinade
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 small sized cauliflower, cleaned and washed thoroughly and cut into thin slices which would look like small trees
- 2 Medium sized potatoes, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Ginger and Green chillies paste
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1.5 teaspoons Coriander -cumin powder
- pinches Chaat masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Plain white yogurt
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Frozen green peas , defrosted
- Take yogurt in a bowl, mix in the dry spices , sugar, salt , ginger-green chillies paste, Worcestershire sauce and add a little bit of water if needed. Mix it well and make a smooth marinade. Remember , Worcestershire sauce has mild sweet and tangy taste and chaat masala is also little tangy, so balance the ingredients properly if you feel one of them is over powering and so I have also added 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, feel free to add another half or so if you it does not taste balanced.
- Take the cauliflower, which is cut into small trees and sliced potatoes and defrosted peas and toss them into this marinade. Leave it for about 10 minutes covered at room temperature just that all the flavors get emulsified into each other and veggies.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small sauce pan and once it is hot add the cumin seeds. In just a second or so, switch off the stove. Take this tadka , add it to the marinade and mix well. And leave it aside till we form the crust.
- 3/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Old- fashioned Oats, finely ground
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 stick of butter chilled and cut into pieces + tbsp to brush the crust
- Some Coriander chutney (optional)
- drops of lemon juice (again this is also optional)
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnish (optional)
- Take the flour, oat powder/meal and cornmeal, add salt and mix it well.
- Add the cumin seeds and the cubes of butter, and pulse it in a food processor if you happen to have one or simply by hands break the butter into the flour till you see crumbs.
- Now, in a bowl take the sour cream and water and mix it well and add it to the flour mixture and pulse it several times till you see the dough coming together.
- The dough should still be crumbly and dry. Take it out onto a floured surface and form a ball out of it. Now, wrap this ball of dough into a plastic sheet and refrigerate it for 1 to 2 hours .
- Remove the dough from fridge and roll it out on a floured surface into a 9 inches to 12 inches diameter and place it on a baking sheet and again chill it for about 10 minutes in the fridge. Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 350 F.
- Take the dough out of fridge and place the marinated cauliflower mixture onto the middle of the dough and spread with a spatula or spoon, leaving edges for about 2 inches border.
- Fold the border 2 inches over the filling. Brush the crust with butter. And, bake it for about 45 to 55 minutes , until the crust is golden brown and the veggie mixture is cooked thoroughly.
- Once baked, cool the tart for few minutes on a rack and then serve it hot with a drizzle of green coriander chutney or some lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
The invincible beer can chicken.
The chicest apron around.