If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an unbelievably easy one pot meal whose fragrance and flavor are based on dried mushrooms, Chinese sausage (I prefer to use the sweeter Taiwanese version of this) and a rich marrying of other Chinese ingredients. It is traditionally cooked in a claypot, but who needs an extra pot laying around in their kitchen? I use a medium size saucepan and it works great.
Yes, it's a one pot meal, but I like to serve it with some tender sauteed green vegetables, like Chinese mustards, and a fried egg (as pictured). - chairmanhu
Marinating the Chicken
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 Chinese sausage, sliced on bias in 1/4" pieces
- 2 dried shitakes, hydrated and sliced (stems discarded)
- 2 scallions, cut into 2" pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (Microplane recommended)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, cover and marinate for an hour. If the shitakes are not yet hydrated, that's okay. Hydrate them while everything is marinating and add them when ready.
Preparing the Rice
- 1 cup rice (I like to use short grain sushi grade rice for this)
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark mushroom soy (regular dark soy is okay)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- .5 cups chopped scallions
- Start with only the rice and water in a medium saucepan (or a claypot if you have one). Bring to a boil and then add the marinated chicken mixture over the top. Don't mix. Cover and let simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Mix the soy, dark soy, sugar and sesame oil. Drizzle evenly over the cooked rice and chicken. Again, don't stir. Cover and cook for another 5-10 minutes on low heat, making sure the rice is cooked through.
- Remove from heat, add chopped scallions and stir to combine. Distribute to serving bowls and top each with a fried egg and maybe some sauteed vegetables.
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Style with a breeze.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.