If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have always had a "thing" for raw celery in salad. It has to do with texture - the crunchy factor that celery delivers. It lends itself well to so many other flavors. Here, it is paired with lightly sauteed mushrooms, parmesan cheese, and lemon vinaigrette. It makes a nice side at dinner, but it is equally as delicious with a slice of baguette for lunch.
Food52 Review: WHO: Waverly, a lawyer-turned-full-time-mom, wholesome meal advocate and all around super home cook!
WHAT: A delicate yet satisfying salad of celery and mushroom.
HOW: Just a little slicing and squeezing and in almost no time, you're looking at one beautiful dish.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Earthy sauteed mushrooms and parmesan pack a lovely umami punch, bringing perfect balance to the crunch of the celery and zing of the lemon. We could happily eat this salad every day. —The Editors
- 7 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 pound mushrooms, delicate varieties such as cremini, oyster, or shiitake are best, wiped clean as sliced as thin as possible
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 ribs celery, shaved paper thin (use a mandolin if you have one)
- 1 cup shaved parmigiano reggiano cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- SAUTE THE MUSHROOMS: In a skillet, heat 3 Tbsp olive oil over MEDIUM HIGH heat. When the oil is hot, add the sliced mushrooms and saute until golden brown, 5-6 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper and then set aside to cool.
- TOSS THE SALAD: In a large serving bowl, whisk the remaining 4 Tbsp olive oil with the lemon juice. Add a little salt and pepper and then taste. Add more oil or lemon juice as you like. Add the celery, cooled mushrooms, cheese, and parsley to the bowl and toss until combined. Season with sea salt and pepper and serve.
- Your Best Celery Recipe Contest Finalist!
Toppings That Are out of the Park
How to make one haute dog
Out of the park toppings.
Life's a beach.
It's time to travel.
Food blog links we love.
Put cake on a pedestal.