If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Millions have come to know Irish Soda bread as the loaf with raisins & caraway seeds. This in fact is more of a cake than traditional Irish Soda Bread. Long ago we did not have raisins as these were a luxury, imported item. They were a sign of wealth.Original Soda Bread is simply made from wheat flour, buttermilk, baking soda & salt. We eat this a lot with soup in Ireland or served with smoked salmon and fresh lemon. —Rachel Gaffney
Makes 1 loaf
- 3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 3 teaspoons rolled oats
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola/sunflower oil
- Pre heat your oven to 375 degrees. You can use a floured pizza stone or 1lb loaf pan. If you use the loaf pan, make sure you lightly grease it for easy removal.
- In a large bowl, preferably a wide basin to make the mixing of the ingredients a lot easier, place all the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Add the oil. Mix well with a wooden spoon and you may add more buttermilk if you wish. It should not be too dry.
- I usually make a round loaf of bread. Flour your hands then place the dough on the floured pizza stone. Using the tip of a 'SHARP' knife, make a cross in the bread. Sprinkle with some extra oats if you wish for a rustic look. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove and place on a wire cooling rack.
More Great Recipes: Bread, Rolls & Muffins
The Spice is Right
Recipes that put a dent in that za'atar stash
Za'atar: the spice with zip.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
The knots you should know.
Have a ball (jar).