Author Notes: I love celery in any form and use it in many dishes. It is for me a spoon for spreads, humus and dressings instead of chips, I eat it cooked in stocks, use in pickling brines for tomatoes and water melon and most of the time add to salads.
The recipe which I am sharing is versatile and can be served as a side dish topped with shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano or a base for a few delicious dishes. Using one recipe I made a toping for seared tuna steak, a delicious aioli and a light tomato sauce. - Kukla
Serves a crowd
For the braised celery and tomato sauce
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil
- • 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- • 2 cloves minced garlic
- • 8 stalks celery, ends trimmed and cut into about 2-inch lengths, reserve the leaves
- • 11/2 cups chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- • 1/2 cup dry white wine or Vermouth
- • 1 bay leaf
- • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- • 2 tablespoons fresh dill + reserved celery leaves, chopped
- • 2 tablespoons lightly toasted chopped walnuts (optional)
- • 6 fresh medium tomatoes for the sauce, washed and halved
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, onions, garlic, and celery. Add the chicken broth, Vermouth, bay leaf, coriander, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer, turning once, until the celery is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and using a large slotted spoon, transfer the celery to a serving platter. Spoon a little cooking liquid over, and sprinkle with dill, celery leaves and toasted walnuts (if using). Leave the remaining braising liquid in the skillet.
- To make the tomato sauce: Place tomatoes in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into the skillet with the remaining celery braising liquid, add some more salt and pepper or a pinch of red pepper flakes and cook on medium-high heat until reduced and thickened to sauce consistency, about 10-15 minutes.
- To serve: Spread two tablespoons of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a serving plate, place the fish or meat steak on top and then spoon the braised celery on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe