If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love celery in any form and use it in many dishes. It is for me a spoon for spreads, humus and dressings instead of chips, I eat it cooked in stocks, use in pickling brines for tomatoes and water melon and most of the time add to salads.
The recipe which I am sharing is versatile and can be served as a side dish topped with shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano or a base for a few delicious dishes. Using one recipe I made a toping for seared tuna steak, a delicious aioli and a light tomato sauce. - Kukla
Serves a crowd
For the braised celery and tomato sauce
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil
- • 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- • 2 cloves minced garlic
- • 8 stalks celery, ends trimmed and cut into about 2-inch lengths, reserve the leaves
- • 11/2 cups chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- • 1/2 cup dry white wine or Vermouth
- • 1 bay leaf
- • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- • 2 tablespoons fresh dill + reserved celery leaves, chopped
- • 2 tablespoons lightly toasted chopped walnuts (optional)
- • 6 fresh medium tomatoes for the sauce, washed and halved
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, onions, garlic, and celery. Add the chicken broth, Vermouth, bay leaf, coriander, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer, turning once, until the celery is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and using a large slotted spoon, transfer the celery to a serving platter. Spoon a little cooking liquid over, and sprinkle with dill, celery leaves and toasted walnuts (if using). Leave the remaining braising liquid in the skillet.
- To make the tomato sauce: Place tomatoes in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into the skillet with the remaining celery braising liquid, add some more salt and pepper or a pinch of red pepper flakes and cook on medium-high heat until reduced and thickened to sauce consistency, about 10-15 minutes.
- To serve: Spread two tablespoons of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a serving plate, place the fish or meat steak on top and then spoon the braised celery on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe
A Genius Dinner Party: Part 2
Of course, it involves no-knead pizza dough.
A genius dinner party: part 2
Home & design links we love.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Fact: Kids love pizza.
Mortar and pestle perfection.