If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made these potatoes originally to go with steamed fish that was scented with fennel and saffron. I worried that the sweet potatoes' flavoring - orange and nutmeg - would be too much, but in fact it matched so perfectly that I've actually been adding a pinch of saffron to the potatoes ever since. - Cara Eisenpress
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon good-tasting olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons orange juice, preferably fresh
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch saffron threads, ground between your fingers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Roast the sweet potatoes on the oven rack for 45 minutes to an hour, until they're quite soft. Set aside until they're cool enough to handle.
- When the potatoes have cooled slightly, scoop the flesh out of the skin, add the orange juice, nutmeg, saffron, and salt, and gently mash so the potatoes are nearly smooth but not gluey. Taste for citrus flavor and salt, then warm in the microwave or on the stovetop if they've cooled and serve hot
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe