If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm always trying to make delicious tofu like I get in restaurants, and I think I've finally found it! This is slightly crispy on the outside and soft and tasty on the inside. The nutritional yeast gives it a slightly nutty flavor, but feel free to substitute with corn starch. I usually serve this tofu over a bed of jasmine rice, sometimes over stir-fried vegetables too, and sometimes just with the dipping sauce. Oh and my five year old daughter loves it! - mdm
tofu and rice
- 1 block firm tofu
- 4-5 tablespoons nutritional yeast (for dredging)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon mirin (or sugar, if you don't have any on hand)
- Wrap the tofu block in paper towels and add weight on top, letting it sit for up to an hour if you have the time. Let the water drain from it. If you don't have an hour, 20-30 minutes will work just fine. Pat it dry.
- Cut the tofu into one-inch strips or triangles and marinate in soy sauce for 30 minutes or so. Half-way through flip the pieces.
- While the tofu is doing its thing: rice the rice well, add 2 cups of water, boil, cover, and reduce to lowest simmer until water is absorbed -- around 20 minutes. Take the rice off the heat and let it sit for another 10 minutes.
- Dredge the tofu in the nutritional yeast. Fry over med-high heat in the olive oil until golden brown, a few minutes on each side.
- Remove tofu from heat and sprinkle thinly sliced green onions on top.
- Mix together the dipping sauce, which is optional. Drizzle a bit over the crispy tofu at the end or dip the pieces in if you like the stronger taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!