If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The vegetables cook at a low heat for over an hour, wrapped snug in parchment paper. Despite the long low and slow treatment they don't cross the line into mushiness, and their flavors sing. If the season is right, considering substituting spring onions or fresh garlic for the scallions. - Panacea Food
- 1 head celery (the darkest green that you can find)
- 1 head fennel
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons anchovy filets, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tender fennel leaves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Chop off the top three inches of the celery head, saving the bits for a another use (such as stock). Cut the head of celery lengthwise in quarters, then again into eighths. The celery stalks will stay together at the root end. Reserve 2 T of the tender, inner leaves for the dressing.
- Chop the stalks off the fennel bulbs, and cut the fennel into eighths, following the same technique you used for the celery. Reserve 2 T of the tender fennel leaves for the dressing.
- Cut the dark green tops off of the scallions, leaving the white and pale green parts. Cut the scallions in half lengthwise, leaving the root end intact.
- Lay a 2-3' long piece of parchment paper on a sheet tray. Arrange the vegetables on the sheet tray, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Fold the parchment paper over the vegetables and fold the sides, making a neat package. Bake the vegetables for 1 1/2 hours, until tender.
- For the dressing, combine the lemon juice and salt in a small bowl and swirl until it dissolves. Add the anchovies and whisk in the olive oil. Finally, stir in the chopped herbs.
- Once the vegetables are cooked to your liking, arrange them on a large platter and pour the vinaigrette over the top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe