If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love lemon and celery together. The lemon cuts the saltiness of the celery. So I thought I would try braising celery with lemon, but much to my good fortune I had a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc within reach! I thought the combo of 3 sounded great! I headed to the grocery store and spotted some beautiful golden beets. I don't know about you, but food talks to me! The beets grabbed my attention, communicating that they so wanted to make the 3-some a 4-some! Why not! Ahhh I just love the adventure and discoveries of cooking! —Merry
Roasted Beets and Braised Celery
- 4 medium golden beets, scrubbed and cut in halves
- 2 tablespoons garlic olive oil
- 1 bunch celery, rinsed, leaves chopped and reserved
- 1 tablespoon Grapeseed oil
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup Sauvignon Blanc wine
- 2 teaspoons agave syrup
- 1 whole lemon, sliced
White Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup White balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grate lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- Roast beets and make vinaigrette first.
- BEETS: Divide and drizzle garlic oil on the center of 4 sheets of foil. Add a pinch of salt. Place beet cut side down on oil and fold to create a pouch. Bake in the center of the oven, at 425 degrees, for 45 minutes or until soft when pierced with a fork. When done baking carefully remove foil, peel and place on top of the braised celery.
- WHITE BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE: In a small bowl, whisk all vinaigrette ingredients, cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes as beets roast. Add salt, water, or agave to taste.
- CELERY: Peel any of the fibrous outer stalks of celery with a vegetable peeler make sure to remove all strings. Cut into 4-inch long pieces. Heat the grapeseed oil in a large 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the celery, salt and pepper and cook for 4 minutes until just beginning to brown and soften slightly. Add garlic and lemon zest and cook on medium-low 1 minute. Add wine and agave, cover and reduce heat to low; cook for 5 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to high or medium-high and allow the celery to cook until the wine dissipates.
- TO SERVE: Transfer braised celery to a serving dish, top with roasted beets and drizzle with white balsamic vinaigrette. Sprinkle with reserved celery leaves. Garnish with lemon slices and grind a little black pepper over, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.