If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Honestly, I only use celery in its natural and simplest form by eating it directly the way it is or in the form of juice. And, moreover I like to use it in Raita...That's it Okie..Now, yesterday we had these pancakes for dinner and as I had celery on hand I thought of trying it more so for the contest and I have to say I enjoyed using it in the pancakes. It really gave its flavor. I hope you all also enjoy these as much as we did. - PistachioDoughnut
Serves 5 to 6 depends upon the size you choose to make
- 2 cups Semolina
- 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Ginger and green chillies paste
- 1 Green chilli Chopped optional if you prefer a little extra spice..
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Celery stalks thinly chopped and use the leaves also
- 2 tablespoons Coriander leaves (if you do not like , just don't add them)
- 1 teaspoon Celery seeds
- 3 tablespoons Green Bell Pepper,thinly chopped
- 3 tablespoons Tomatoes, chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Onions , thinly chopped
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon White Sesame seeds
- Take the yogurt and whisk it and then add the water to it. If you have buttermilk, then replace it with yogurt and water mix. Mix in the ginger-chilli paste, salt and green chillies, celery seeds, and mix it well.
- Add the semolina and mix it nicely. Add a little water if you feel it is too thick. the batter should be not too thin and not too thick also.
- Finally, let it sit for about an hour or so or if you have time on hand for 2 hours or so. Lot of times I have made them without letting it sit , but what makes the difference if you let it sit is that the yogurt helps in fermenting the batter and making it a little more flavorful. Remember, semolina will use up the water once you let it sit.
- Whenever you are ready to prepare them, add in the chopped veggies and coriander leaves , celery leaves. Mix it well. At this point you might or might not feel like adding extra water. Do feel free to if you need to. Now, take the equal amount of mustard seeds, cumin seeds and sesame seeds in a bowl and mix them.
- Heat a skillet at medium high heat and add a small spoonful of oil about 1/2 tsp , add the cumin-mustard seeds-sesame seeds mix and be careful at this time the sesame seeds will go crazy and start popping up so quickly and might splatter on your face so please be careful and immediately pour in the batter on it top of the sesame mix and spread it a little like the way we make sweet pancakes. You can make them thin , if that's the way you like them or thick. it is totally up to you.
- Let them cook on one side , you will be able to see a difference on the batter once they look cooked on one side and then flip it on the other side, add a little oil to moisten it. Let it cook for about a minute or so and then remove it .
- Serve it hot off the griddle with some celery/coriander/mint chutney.
- For celery chutney - Take about 1 cup of celery stalks along with leaves washed and roughly chopped, take 1/2 cup coriander leaves, 2 tbsp of mint leaves, 2 tablespoon of lemon juice, salt to taste. Blend everything well in a food processor or a blender , add some water to make a pesto or chutney. Serve it with these pancakes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe
9 Ways to Celebrate the Birth of the Royal Baby
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
Fresh beer, anywhere.
Garden Mule Cocktail
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!