If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I created this recipe in honor of San Diego Beer Week, a 10-day beer fest celebrating San Diego's craft beers. I wanted to make a savory dish with beer, other than chili or stew, and settled on seasonal sweet potatoes. I love that this recipe is easy to make yet has layers of flavors -- it's sweet, salty, smoky, and tangy. It's great with beer buddies like pork and beef and goes really well with chicken sandwiches and salmon burgers too. - Food Blogga
- 2 large orange-fleshed sweet potatoes or Garnet yams
- olive oil for brushing potatoes
- 6 strips maple smoked bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup beer, preferably ale or dark ale
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- a few cranks of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil, for easy clean up. Wash potatoes and pat dry. Rub flesh with a little bit of olive oil. Place flesh side down on the prepared baking sheet
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add bacon. Cook, turning frequently, until browned and crisp, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper-toweled lined plate to drain. Cool completely. Chop finely, reserving one slice for garnish.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes. Scoop out the flesh and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add sliced onions and brown sugar; stir occasionally, until the onions caramelize and turn a deep golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Add beer and cook 2 minutes. Add maple syrup. Stir well and cook 3-4 minutes. Add roasted potatoes and bacon to skillet. Stir well. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with reserved bacon.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mashed Potatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe