If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad is perfect for a cool, cozy autumn evening, as a holiday starter, or paired with a golden roast chicken. You can even make it the day after Thanksgiving and add leftover turkey. You'll have leftover pecans, which is a good thing because it will be difficult to resist snacking on them as you prepare this dish. You can save any leftover dressing for several days. - mariaraynal
- 1 cup whole pecans
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, or to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- coarse sea or kosher salt, to taste
- 4 slices applewood smoked bacon, sliced into lardons
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves or greens of your choice
- 12-16 thin slices of high quality cheddar cheese (use a vegetable peeler)
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 small or half a large apple, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, preferably Meyer
- For honey roasted pecans: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine butter, honey and brown sugar into a small saucepan over low heat. When butter melts, add cayenne and salt. Add pecans to pan, combine well and turn out onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Separate pecans and bake for 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Meantime, cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until golden and crispy. Remove and cool on paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings.
- For dressing: add shallot, vinegar, cider, drippings, Dijon and honey to a small bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Season to taste with salt, pepper and add lemon zest.
- Combine spinach and golden raisins in a large bowl. Add bacon and spoon 2-3 tablespoons of dressing on greens, or to taste. Mix gently with hands. Add cheese slices, apple and pecans to taste. Serve, passing extra dressing at table.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Salad
What's In, What's Out
What we're obsessed with, and what we're not.
What's in, what's out.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wedding registry must haves.