If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I was a kid, my mother and my Aunt Marie would often spend late Saturday afternoons in the kitchen with the blender, a quart of ice cream from Howard Johnson's, and a couple of shots from whatever bottle they came across first in the liquor cabinet, concocting wonderfully boozy drinks that would be later consumed by the adults at cocktail hour. If I promised to help clean up (and not tell my father and Uncle Charlie what happened to the rest of the bottle of booze), I would be rewarded with a spoonful of the day's offering. My personal favorite was the Brandy Alexander made with peach ice cream, with the Grasshopper (made with mint ice cream) a real close second. Sadly, Aunt Marie is no longer with us, and these days my mother is perfectly happy with a nice gin and tonic before dinner. But I like to think that this is something they might have enjoyed. The maple ice cream is adapted from a 2007 recipe from the New York Times, or you could use purchased maple ice cream if you can find some. - wssmom
Maple Ice Cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 5 egg yolk
- Fill a pan with ice cubes, set aside. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs yolks until thick, set aside. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring the cream and half-and-half to a simmer, lower heat and stir in the sugars, the maple syrup, vanilla bean and the scrapings.
- Whisk about a quarter-cup of the cream into the egg yolks, then slowly whisk in the rest of the cream. Strain back into the saucepan, turn up the head to medium-low and stir until the custard is slightly thickened. Remove to a heat-proof bowl, set the bowl into the pan of ice cubes, and cool completely. Freeze according to your ice cream maker's directions.
- 2 scoops maple ice cream
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 1 1/2 ounces Irish cream liquor, such as Bailey's
- 1 1/2 ounces coffee liquor, such as Kahlua
- Whiz together all ingredients in a blender. Serve in two pretty glasses. Enjoy!,
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe
Your Recipe Diploma
A menu master class for the college grad.
A master class in recipes.
Lettuce love vegetables.
Wine tasting takeaways.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.