If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These nuts are more aggressively spiced than most, cumin and cayenne playing off ginger and cinnamon ,and underlying all, the allure of toasted maple. They are addictive on their own but also help make a good salad memorable. - LE BEC FIN
Makes 6 cups
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 tablespoon ground toasted cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne
- 1/2 tablespoon Madras curry powder (Sun brand preferred)
- 3/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoons ground ginger powder
- 6 cups raw shelled pecans
- 5 (from 10) tablespoons grade B maple syrup, cooked down from 10 Tablespoons
- tablespoons kosher salt
- Over medium high heat, heat oil in skillet until hot . Add cumin through cinnamon,and simmer 3-4 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly. Do not burn.
- Put nuts in a bowl and add spice mixture and stir until coated. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place nuts in single layer on sheet pan, drizzle with maple syrup and cook for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.If nuts are not fully toasted, bake further til crisp.
- Put back in bowl, scrape oil and spice mixture from sheet pan on top of nuts and mix. Add kosher salt and/or more seasonings to taste.Cool. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe