If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I know, another ice cream recipe - but it's easy and tasty and I will make it again, so I am posting! By the way, what really IS the difference between ice cream and gelato? Milk vs cream? Fancy sounding vs not so much? I like fancy sounding. I did NOT get a good photo of the actual product because it got gobbled up so fast, so you get a picture of my great nephew wishing the friggin' paparazzi (me) would leave him alone while he eats. - aargersi
Food52 Review: When the Spouse and I first tested arrgersi's Buttermilk Maple Gelato, we immediately fell into the kind of argument for which our family has an unhappy genius. I insisted the best thing about it was how tangy and yummy it was without being cloyingly sweet. He insisted the best thing about it was how breathtakingly easy it was to make. We would have brought in a third person to break the tie, only ... there wasn't any left! We happily made another batch, and this time, agreed to disagree. Yummy and easy AND easy and yummy. It's all good.
Serves a small but hungry crowd
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 - 1.5 ounces maple sugar candy (one maple leaf worth ... or use maple sugar, I had the candy handy!)
- 1/4 cup grade B maple syrup - very cold
- Bring the milk and maple sugar to a simmer and stir until the candy is dissolved, then turn off the heat. Allow it to cool slightly, then SLOWLY drizzle some warm milk into the egg yolks while you whisk madly - you want to temper, not scramble.
- Once the yolks are tempered, turn the heat back on the milk - medium-ish, and whisk the yolks in, then whisk in the buttermilk. Gently bring it all back to a simmer, stirring all the while, until a custard forms. Use the back of a spoon to test, the custard should part when you run your finger through it and stay parted.
- Cool completely. This is a not-to-sweet sort of tangy concoction. Never fear. When it is cold, pour it into your ice cream maker and freeze according to the directions. Just as it is essentially soft-serve, drizzle the cold maple syrup in so it ribbons throughout. You can eat it immediately or put it into the freezer to harden up a bit more. Guess which we did?
- *** NOTE *** Hardlikearmour turned me on to the counter top Cuisinart ice cream maker on Amazon - and I absolutely LOVE it. If you are going to be making ice cream this summer, you need one too: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-30BC-Indulgence-2-Quart-Automatic/dp/B0006ONQOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332792860&sr=8-1
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.