If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is a healthy makeover of an Indian dessert, where I have replaced food color with grated carrot or sweet potato shavings.
Please note, if desired the syrup can be added with the water into a rice cooker and the rest of the dish can be completed in the rice cooker. - Rinku Bhattacharya
- 1 large sweet potato or two medium carrots
- 1 cup dark maple syrup
- 3/4 cup white rice (basmati or an Indian short grain variety)
- 1 teaspoon saffron strands
- few piece cinnamon (1 large stick broken)
- 3 green cardamoms
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup cashew nuts
- 1/3 cup dark raisins
- Peel and grate the sweet potato or carrots and set aside
- Place the maple syrup in a large pan and bring to a simmer.
- Add in the sweet potato or carrots, saffron strands, cinnamon, cardamoms, pecans, cashew nuts and the raisins.
- Cover the mixture and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes.
- The maple syrup mixture should be completely absorbed and the rice should be a pale saffron color, with darker orange streaks from the sweet potatoes or carrots.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe