Author Notes: This recipe is a healthy makeover of an Indian dessert, where I have replaced food color with grated carrot or sweet potato shavings.
Please note, if desired the syrup can be added with the water into a rice cooker and the rest of the dish can be completed in the rice cooker. - Rinku Bhattacharya
- 1 large sweet potato or two medium carrots
- 1 cup dark maple syrup
- 3/4 cups white rice (basmati or an Indian short grain variety)
- 1 teaspoon saffron strands
- few piece cinnamon (1 large stick broken)
- 3 green cardamoms
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup cashew nuts
- 1/3 cup dark raisins
- Peel and grate the sweet potato or carrots and set aside
- Place the maple syrup in a large pan and bring to a simmer.
- Add in the sweet potato or carrots, saffron strands, cinnamon, cardamoms, pecans, cashew nuts and the raisins.
- Cover the mixture and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes.
- The maple syrup mixture should be completely absorbed and the rice should be a pale saffron color, with darker orange streaks from the sweet potatoes or carrots.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe