Author Notes: This lightly seasoned chutney is one of my favorite creations. It is lightly spiced with overtones of star anise, cumin and fennel balanced out with a healthy dose of ginger. I personally like to pair this with simple broiled fish, it also probably works well with grilled chicken. I shall let you decide how you want to play and work with this creation. - Creativecook
Makes 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2-3 star anise
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 5 plums, stoned and chopped
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 3/4 cups pure maple syrup
- Heat the oil and add in the fennel seeds and the mustard seeds and wait till the mustard begins to pop.
- Add in the star anise, red chili pepper flakes, ginger and the salt and mix well.
- Stir in the red plums and mix well
- Stir in the lemon juice and mix well.
- Add in the maple syrup and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Poach this for about 15 minutes, you should get a fairly chunky and thick chutney.
- You may remove the star anise before serving if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe