Author Notes: Garnet yams are my favorite variety of sweet potato (let's not get into the whole yam semantics) because of their sweetness, dense texture and intensely orange color. I invented this recipe one Thanksgiving when the only stove/oven time I was allotted was once the turkey was resting. The flavors come together quickly and the dish does not suffer from being served at room temperature. - gluttonforlife
- 4 large garnet yams
- 4 ounces pancetta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel yams and cut into 1/2" cubes.
- Cut pancetta into small dice.
- Combine yams and pancetta in a large bowl and toss well with remaining ingredients.
- Spread this out on a sheet pan or large casserole. It's important that it be in a single layer as this promotes faster cooking and better caramelization.
- Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned and sizzling, stirring 2-3 times.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe