If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This winter i was having a ball with my umami bacon sliders...At one holiday party a neighbor said, "For Christmas, all I want is a pound of this!" Well, spring has sprung and we are looking for new ways to use the bacon. I was dithering between a salad of roasted brussel sprouts with grapes and yogurt or a salad with kale and honeycrisp apples when i saw a recipe on "Tasting Table" and they called their bacon crumbles "brittle"...very different interpretations of similar ingredients and I just loved the name! you can check out their version at www.tastingtable.com/entry_detail/chefs_recipes/7848 or my umami bacon sliders at www.food52.com/recipes/15267_umami_sliders - lorigoldsby
Thai Bacon Brittle
- 6 pieces hardwood smoked maple bacon
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek (thai chili garlic paste)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (the real stuff!)
Kale And Honeycrisp Salad
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed
- 1 large honeycrisp apple
- 4 ounces of your favorite semi-soft cheese (goat, bleu, feta)
- 2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons maple syrup
- To make your Thai Bacon Brittle: cook bacon on paper towels in microwave for 3 minutes. (Bacon will not be brown!) Pat dry and transfer to a wire rack placed on top of a lipped baking pan.
- mix sambal, brown sugar and maple syrup to form a thick paste. Using a spoon or pastry brush, glaze the top of the bacon. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 4 minutes, turn over and glaze the other side, continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- To prepare dressing: Please adjust the ratio of vinegar/oil/syrup to your preferred level of sweetness/oil. But this is a wonderful trinity of flavors! If you aren't yet a kale lover, try it with brussel sprouts!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls