If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The addition of maple, honey, toasted pecans and dark chocolate
infuses complex flavors and crunch to the traditional caramel shortbread bars. —Bohdanna
Serves 20 bars
- 2 1/2 cups flour, unbleached, sifted and all purpose
- 12 tablespoons butter, unsalted, chilled and diced into small cubes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pieces egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter well ad 12 by 9 metal or glass pan.
- In a food processor, blend the flour, sugar and salt and then add the butter and mix until crumbly.l
- Mix the egg yolks with the milk, and add to the flour mixture with the motor running, and pulsing. Blend until mixed to a crust consistency.
- Bake in the preheated oven about 25 minutes, or when golden. Remove from oven and retain in pan.
Caramel filing and chocolate glaze
- 1/2 cup MAPLE SYRUP, pure, light grade
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 12 tablespoons butter, unsalted, chilled, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
- 12 ounces bitersweet good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 6 ounces whipping cream, heavy, chilled
- 20 pieces pecans, whole for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sea salt coarse -optional garnish
- In a heavy medium pan over medium heat, mix the condensed milk, maple syrup, brown sugar, honey, butter, maple extract and vanilla and heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Gently boil until rises to 225 degrees F. whisking continually and turns golden and thick.
- Remove from heat and pour over the crust and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans over the caramel filing.
- In a microwave safe container, add bittersweet dark chocolate and heavy cream, and microwave at 20 second intervals until chocolate melts, but do not overheat. Mix until smooth, and pour over the caramel filing.
- Spread the chocolate filing even and you can garnish with nuts.
- Place in refrigerator for at least an hour to set.
- Cut into 4 by 2 inch rectangles or another size you like and sprinkle with sea salt if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe
Welcome to Funky Town
How to make kimchi—without a recipe
Make kimchi—without a recipe.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
Eat cookies for breakfast.
The chicest apron around.