Author Notes: I live in northern Michigan, so we know a thing or two about maple syrup. I feel spoiled to be able to buy local maple syrup. I tried this recipe several years ago when my mother's friend made a similiar version. I substitute the corn syrup with agave, honey is great too. Pour this over ice cream, pancakes, waffles or as my son loves to do, his bacon! - ashleypiersonchasesdinner
Makes about 3 cups
- 4 cups White Sugar
- 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Agave or Honey
- 2 1/3 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Place the white sugar, brown sugar, agave and water in a saucepan over medium high heat. Stir all ingredients together.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Stir.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered, about 8 to 10 minutes. It will be the consistency of syrup.
- Take off of heat and stir in maple syrup and vanilla.
- Let cool completely. Store in glass jar(s). Cover and refrigerate.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe