Author Notes: Goes great with Pork Belly Buns, which I make about once a year, or any kind of good porky sweet thing. As I was getting the brine ready, the bottle of bourbon happened to be nearby, so I felt compelled to throw in a couple spoonfuls. The pickles cut the sweetness of hoisin sauce or barbecue sauce perfectly. - mrslarkin
Makes 1 cup
- 1 cup thin sliced carrots (3/8" thick), rounds or 3" planks, from about 4 not-too-big carrots
- 3/4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 whole star anise
- Stir all the liquid ingredients until well blended.
- Place carrots and star anise in a mason jar large enough to hold all the brine.
- Pour brine into jar. Screw on lid. Chill at least several hours or overnight.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe