If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I grow my own arugula and this recipe came about as a way to use slightly older than "baby" leaves that had really developed the peppery taste. The sweetness of the vinaigrette and cherries compliments the intense taste of the arugula. If you are using balsamic that is on the acidic side, add a healthy pinch of sugar to the dressing but if you are using a quality balsamic, omit the sugar. The step of "pickling" the shallots in the vinaigrette is key to taming the sometimes overbearing flavor of shallots and ensuring they meld well with the salad rather than take over. —Tony S
- 8 cups Arugula
- 4 ounces Fresh Goat Cheese
- 4 tablespoons Dried Cherries
- 1/2 - 3/4 of an English Cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 Large or 2 Small Thinly Sliced Shallots
- 4 tablespoons Roasted Sunflower Seeds
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 3/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 pinch Sugar (optional)
- 2 scant tablespoons Cherry Preserves or other dark fruit preserves
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Mix preserves, balsamic vinegar, dried cherries, salt & pepper, and sugar (if using) in a microwave safe dish and microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until preserves melt. Stir to emulsify then set aside at room temperature to cool.
- Once vinegar mixture is cool, whisk in olive oil or better yet, combine the two in a container with a tight fitting lid and shake vigorously until combined.
- Once vinaigrette is made, stir in sliced shallots and allow to sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or make dressing the day before to allow shallots to "pickle" and cherries to soften.
- Fish cherries and shallots from vinaigrette and combine with arugula, cucumber, and sunflower seeds in a bowl. Toss salad with enough of the vinaigrette to adequately dress and check for seasoning. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Crumble goat cheese on top of salad and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Salad
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
DIY Nutter Butters.
We give it 8 tentacles up.