If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Last year I shared my recipe for traditional charoset- and it was delicious. My gentile friends even ate it up! This year I stepped up my game with the addition of beets (say what?), dates (crazy!) and candied walnuts (mmm, sugar). All without sacrificing the necessary wine. Well let me pat myself on the back- this version is pretty darn tasty! The healthy beets balance the other ingredients and add an awesome red color to the mix, and the dates and candied nuts just sweeten the deal. And by deal I mean charoset. —What Jew Wanna Eat
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 apples (Pink Lady or Gala are my faves_
- 4 beets
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup Manischewitz or sweet red wine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the walnuts in a single layer until toasted, or about 5-7 minutes.
- Next up, put your 1/2 cup sugar in a saucepan on medium heat and mix while melting the sugar. As soon as the sugar is melted, add the nuts and quickly coat the nuts. Transfer nuts to piece of wax or parchment paper and immediately break up the nuts with spoons.
- After you make your nuts, get those beets cooking! Wash your beets and cut in half. Roast for at least 1 hour in the 350 degree oven until tender. When your beets are ready, they should be easy to peel with your hands or a paring knife (once cool of course!)
- Peel your beets and peel and core your apples and dice ‘em up. Then add the diced dates and cooled nuts. Mix that up and add the sugar and cinnamon and mix. And then the honey and wine and mix one more time! Serve with matzah or over yogurt!
Welcome to Funky Town
How to make kimchi—without a recipe
Make kimchi—without a recipe.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
Eat cookies for breakfast.
The chicest apron around.